
The Scoop
US private equity firm General Atlantic will remain committed to investing in the Gulf even as the war with Iran upends the regional economy, Chief Executive Bill Ford told Semafor in an interview.
“The biggest mistake we could make is to pull back and not be prepared when the markets become more investable,” said Ford. “We’ve been investing globally for 30 years and when we make a commitment to a region it’s permanent.”
General Atlantic, which manages around $120 billion and is known for early investments in Facebook and Uber, has been deepening a push into the Gulf over the past few years, opening offices in Abu Dhabi and Riyadh and backing more local companies. It has invested in real estate classified ads business Property Finder and more recently in Saudi Arabia-based eyewear retailer Eyewa.
Even as Iran has fired a barrage of missiles and drones at the Gulf states and closed down traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, General Atlantic has not stopped looking for deals, said Ford, speaking on the sidelines of the Saudi-backed FII Miami conference. “We have to have discussions about investment risk on specific deals, but we’re continuing to look at some opportunities,” he said.
Know More
The biggest names in private equity and venture investing have been flocking to the Gulf in recent years as the region’s sovereign wealth funds have become an increasingly important source of cash. Not content to just hand out money to foreign managers, the Gulf’s funds have also been applying pressure on international investors to set up shop in the region and invest more there.
BlackRock, KKR, and Ardian are among firms that have heeded those calls and opened offices in the Gulf or boosted their presence in the past few years.
Many of those same firms have been seeking to reassure Gulf policymakers they will stick around, even as many global companies look to move staff out of the region because of safety concerns.
As US fund managers reaffirm commitments to the Middle East, the region’s biggest investors are also continuing to look at US deals, said Ford, defying expectations that economic turmoil and questions about the impact of the war on US-Gulf relations. “I haven’t seen any signs of a movement away from the US by Gulf funds,” he said.
Ford is also staying optimistic about the potential outcome of the conflict, focusing on what could be a huge economic opportunity if hostilities end and relations between Iran and the Gulf states improve. “Optimism about what might come next in the region is very encouraging,” he said.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
Czech Republic's new premier: No money for Ukraine - 2
Israel says it will keep control over part of southern Lebanon after war with Hezbollah ends - 3
Jupiter and the moon take a sunset stroll on March 26. Here's how to see it - 4
Instructions to Decide the Best SUV Size for Seniors - 5
How did Ariana Grande get her Glinda voice? I’m the man behind the magic.
Kuwait is softening stance on Israel, dissident tells ‘Post’ after viral UN speech
China Just Got A Lot Closer To Its First-Ever Manned Moon Landing
6 Hints to Upgrade Your Appeal, In addition to Your Outlook
6 Fun Urban areas For Seniors To Travel
Which Carrier Do You Suggest? Vote
EU delegation urges China to tighten export controls
This Overlooked Predator Is Running Out of Time—Why Conservationists Are Racing to Save the Striped Hyena
Merck sees over $5 billion opportunity in Cidara's experimental flu drug
Winter virus season so far is not too bad, but doctors worry about suffering to come












